Sunday, August 06, 2006

Via Media, Indeed.

Had an interesting experience with both ends of the Episcopal Church spectrum this morning at the parish I attend, All Saints' in Beverly Hills. I was assisting with communion this morning at our 11:15 service and arrived early to have our rector introduce me to a wonderful man who is involved in restorative justice in Virginia. We had a good conversation about shared concerns and discussed Pat Nolan's Op Ed in the LA Times (referred to below). Turns out he is a member at Truro Church (home of Martyn Minns).

Then, while serving at the communion rail, I look down and who was on his knees in front of me but Bishop Gene Robinson, whom I had met at GC 2003. A wonderful, godly man and a hero to many. We had a brief conversation after the service. He was in town to lead a retreat for some local Catholic clergy.

What a wonderful place. I sure wish we could all just get beyond the issues that divide us (as Anglicans and as Christians) and move forward together as instruments of God's Love.

No comments: