Sunday, July 23, 2006

Buckley On Bush.

Quote

"If you had a European prime minister who experienced what we've experienced it would be expected that he would retire or resign."
William F. Buckley
My recollection of my first interest in politics was as an early teenager around 1963 and then the 1964 Goldwater campaign. Probably as a result of trying to be argumentative, another classmate and I took to the Goldwater campaign, most other kids were for Johnson.

I remember reading William S. Buckley as a kid and then over the course of years (as I came to my senses saw the error of my ways) would watch his TV show on PBS. While I rarely agree with him on important things, it is amazing how he has taken on the Bush administration and today's conservatives.
"I think Mr. Bush faces a singular problem best defined, I think, as the absence of effective conservative ideology -- with the result that he ended up being very extravagant in domestic spending, extremely tolerant of excesses by Congress, and in respect of foreign policy, incapable of bringing together such forces as apparently were necessary to conclude the Iraq challenge," Buckley says.

Asked what President Bush's foreign policy legacy will be to his successor, Buckley says "There will be no legacy for Mr. Bush. I don't believe his successor would re-enunciate the words he used in his second inaugural address because they were too ambitious. ... So therefore I think his legacy is indecipherable"

No comments: